Thursday, June 6, 2013

Taiwan-Day 1

I arrived at 5:30 am in Taipei (the capital of Taiwan) after a 12.5 hour flight. I slept surprisingly well on the flight, and felt well rested when I met my friends at the airport. My friends really have most of my stay here planned, which I am thankful for. The first thing I noticed about Taiwan was the heat and the humidity, I was dripping sweat by 8:00 am. Hopefully, I get use to that aspect. My friends took me to their university (Tamkang University) first. Here are some pictures of it.


It's a fairly big university, apparently the second largest in Taiwan.

After breakfast, my whole day was full of walking around and exploring. We walked around the campus area a lot where there is a lot of shops. Then, in the afternoon we went to the Tamsui River and visited the historical site called Fort San Domingo. Which is actually a military "castle" that was first built by the Spanish, then renovated by the Dutch, and eventually ended up with the Chinese. It was up on a hill where I got a great view of the river.


We went to some shops and don't worry they have Pringles and Lays.
You may not know that the main mode of transportation in Taipei is the scooter. There are literally more scooters than cars, and they drive where ever they please. Anyways, I got to go for my first scooter ride ever today (don't worry my friends are very good drivers).

Overall, today has felt like one of the longest days of my life. But, I have experienced so much already. I will leave you with a picture of the view from the dorm I am staying in.

Good night to me, and good morning to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment